Different Number Types
1. Difference between float and int (in general)
While both of them are 4 Bytes - 8 Bytes, the usage is different.
int is whole number without fractional parts, it can be represented in 3 number systems (Decimal, Octal and Hexadecimal); float number has a whole number + the fractional portion of the number, it can only be written in a decimal number system.
All integers can be represented as floating point values. However, in programming due to the advantages like less memory occupancy, faster processing and rounding, integers are preferred.
2. Difference between float and double and decimal (in general)
The Decimal, Double, and Float variable types are different in the way that they store the values. Precision is the main difference.
- float is a single precision (32 bit) floating point data type
- double is a double precision (64 bit) floating point data type
- decimal is a 128-bit floating point data type